Friday, July 04, 2008

:: Strange Invitation ::




The sky was turning a purplish hue
from grey to violet to dark indigo blue


slight, a gentle breeze tug at my hair
playfully blowing them into my face


the stars were making their stellar appearances
with a hint of the bashful moon


what a wonderful night for a run...


And ran i did>>
Up the endless stairs of fort canning
through its leafy refuge


my lungs fueled by the cool night air
heady with tropical scents


Accompanied by the street lamps
I see furtive couples huddled under the cover of shadows
and a lone jogger or 2 panting by


I startled a cat patiently stalking a prey
way out of my sight


But from its stilled hunched body
With tension in every muscle
I could almost see a pounce waiting to take flight



My passing only warranted a cursory glance from Mr Cat
Not worthy of its interest


Just like we would not pause our lives
to see a fly buzz by


Feeling rather slighted
I continued on my running route


Crossing bridges and fields
and past the brightly lit esplanade
all decked and pimped out ..
ready for a big show on August, the 9th..


Rehearsals was on going full steam ahead
and as a monstrous ferris wheel rose gaily before me..
Neon green, pink and blue lighting up the now darkening sky
like a giant circular Christmas tree..


I heard strands of our national day song


Despite being allergic to patriotism
and any other -isms that require my whole-hearted belief
that the actions of a few men are for the greater good of me


Still...
I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand
not literally that is..
but close enough..


Its amazing how
underneath that veneer of skepticism
and general disillusionment of the society as a whole
this jaded little heart
can still be touched by some cheesy song about home


You go Kit Chan ..


And as I was fell into an easy rhythm
the background buzz of traffic lulling me
into a state of mind-out-of-body

Inevitably ...
I though of a strange invitation I had received today >>
"Do you want to join SDU?"

Well the answer was a firm and immediate
"Thanks but no thanks"

Not that I see it as a social stigma
it is just that ..


Kinda like the difference between


Wanting to buy a dress..


>>Rummaging through a lot of shops and getting distracted along the way ..
buying everything but the dress
trying a lot of dresses that you think might fit
only to be disappointed in the dressing room countless times..
and then finally
when you least expect it
you come across that perfect dress
*at the right price of course...


>>Versus..
having a professional shopper bring you a set of dresses
what she thinks might fit you
and you just pick the best one you like from there
and all is done with a snap of the fingers


Well...
I enjoy buying my dresses the old fashion way


Granted there are too many busy people out there
Caught up with their life and work
that they have to pay other people
to help them filter through a whole lot of people
and telling them who they should get to know better


*shrugs*
there is no accounting for logic


Now that we have ready-packaged spouses
and ready packaged weddings
what next ?


Ready packaged kids?
I should start a business
selling people the opportunity to grow the kids that they want


Consider this
Mom and Pop >> too busy with their own lives
to bother with the hassle of the trail and error method of raising kids


I can offer a package that allows them to >>
Choose the genes of their child-to-be,
How he/she is to look like,
What schools they should attend to
What skills they must learn..
Which type of friends they should hang out with


And wala!
Kids grown the way you want them..
Before you know it, they have become adults
to be just the way you expect them to be
..and can be proud of..


Tada !


Well .. perhaps in the future


Which seems so wrong


I shudder at the thought of what the world will be coming to


Well..
that short mental exercise all happened in the nice hour long run
which gave both my legs and my mind a good stretch


But the nagging question had taken root
deep in the crevices of my cerebral nodes


>>> Will I join SDU ..??
>> Even 10 years down the road.. and sitting on the shelf ??


hmm.. .




nahhhhhhh ...



I want to find that perfect dress myself..
Even if it means rummaging though flea markets and the likes
You never know where you just might find the perfect one
that fits you just right ..





<3

No comments: