Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Book Hit List ~ death by reading

A link to the "All time 100 books" by Time Magazine
and a question of "how many have you read?"
was posted to me just last week..


That piqued my interest
and I went about the challenge..scrolling and counting


And I am not ashamed to admit..
My amazingly pitiful head count was >>
3 novels read from cover to cover
3 more..started but not finished...
And many many more that I have always wanted to read
but never got around to


While I do not agree with ALL of the author's picks
(Zadie Smith = *yawns*)
And I wish some others were inside
(Come on ..wheres Pride and Prejudice? )


At the end of the day ..
Its all personal


I might just happen to have crappy taste for books
yes..
me ..
the one who shys away from anything that even smells of
feel-good and romance


who could tell right ;p


But bare with me here..
As the list did inspire me to adapt a shorter list
of the books that I must read in the next couple of years
Well.. Preferably before I die ..


So here it goes:


My own Book Hit List >>


1. Brideshead Revisited~ Evelyn Waugh
2. A Death in the Family~ James Agee
3. Animal Farm~ George Orwell
4. Light in August~ William Faulkner
5. Lord of the Flies~ William Golding
6. Catch- 22 ~ Joseph Heller
7. A Clockwork Orange~ Anthony Burgess
8. Mrs. Dalloway~ Virginia Woolf
9. The Grapes of Wrath~ John Steinback
10. I, Claudius~ Robert Graves
11. Watchmen~ Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
12. 1984~ George Orwell
13. War and Peace~ Leo Tolstoy


Yeap my lucky no. 13..
And I shall go about attacking these books with the same vengeance
Uma Thurman goes about ticking names off her list in Kill Bill
*eee hah!*


While these books will probably be read in between
other equally interesting books that catch my fancy
I hope to at least tick off at least 4 in a year
Hmm.. which will make that a 3-year hit job ;p


And I hope to read more "classics" in time ..
Despite the fact that our education system does not support
the active appreciation of classics


I think it is still important for us to strike a balance
in understanding what drove the literary world in the past
and what is is relevant to us in the future..


One will never be poorer for reading more..


And if this has intrigued you as much as it did to me


Here is the link>>

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

No comments: